January 3, 2015

How I Learn: A Kid's Guide to Learning Disability


I like school, but sometimes I get confused. 
That's because I learn in a different way. 
But guess what? That's OK.


It's the New Year, and a great time for new learning! With that in mind, I'm reviewing How I Learn: A Kid's Guide to Learning Disability.to keep in line with Book Buzz 4 Kid's mission to support books that discuss issues of diversity, to include cultural, religious, racial, and disabled/special needs communities.

Children with a disability or special need, such as Autism or Dyslexia, often feel embarrassed or ostracized for being different. How I Learn is a wonderful picture book that teaches children that it's OK to be different and learn differently from others.

The story addresses how some kids are good at reading, but not math, while other children who are good at sports, may not be good at drawing or reading. How I Learn encourages children to ask questions when they don't understand, or to use computers for help with a learning disability. The book also encourages children to also ask for their parents help.

What I love most about the book is that in addition to telling children throughout the book that it's okay to learn differently, it also encourages parent-child reading time, and demonstrates how learning things like math can be made fun when taught to count using measuring in the kitchen at home. After all, parent support is the most important thing in cultivating confidence in a child with special needs. How I Learn demonstrates this well and is a great read for any child trying to cope with being different.

How I Learn: A Kid's Guide to Learning Disability
Author: Brenda S. Miles, PhD, & Colleen A. Patterson, MA
Illustrated by Jane Heinrichs

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing this wonderful blog, its amazing and full of knowledege for them who are fighting with this problem, for a good concern about Pediatric Developmental Evaluations In Jupiter FL please visit Palm Beach Behavioral Health & Wellness or go through learning disability jupiter fl

    ReplyDelete